Parsnip, Apple, & Raisin Muffins
March 24, 2013 § 6 Comments
When you start a new lifestyle in a new country, it’s nice to be aware of the little things that make you feel not so far from home.
Those little things are the ones that make you GO, make you happy, make you smile. They are a reminder of why you wake up for that 7 AM alarm. You know what I mean? These are a few of my favorite things…
1. Reading a book just because. Right now, it’s Gone Girl. It is everything every (girl on the beach from last summer) one said it was. Juicy, page turning, suspenseful, sneaky, and well-written. I’ve mistakenly asked every person I know, twice, if they’ve read it. I am that annoying book obsessor that wants everyone else to be obsessed.
2. Painting my finger nails, REALLY RED, to be exact.
3. Cleaning (questionable) to Beyonce. The dishes just fly right into the cabinets! Please note: this cleaning thing is NOTHING without B. Not even a distant dream.
4. This little page right here! Blogging is my ish. My thing. That thing that makes me go and that thing that wakes me up. It’s my splash of cold water and the sand in my toes.
5. Fresh freaking bread. Explanation not needed. You can’t get this stuff in Boston.
6. Well-achieved mornings at work give way to much-needed lunch breaks and a good cup ‘a tea. All three are equally pleasing.
7. The beauty in the city around 5:00 when walking through. The days are getting longer, and more people are out and about. In such a small city, I see the same people. The same street performers still tempt me to stop and listen. The cobblestones, still charming.
8. A good pair of new boots. Making all those old clothes new again!
These are definitely girly thoughts. These cupcakes speak to that. These cupcakes are no.9: baking foods that are both healthy, and delicious, satisfying, and mouth watering. These are all that and beyond. These are dazzling 7 am and that monotonous train ride, and refreshing the ass-groove embedded in your swivel chair. Watch and learn, peeps.
Love carrot cake? Enter PARSNIPS.
parsnip, apple, raisin muffins
makes 6 large muffins
original recipe from bbc
130g/ 1 cup flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp dried or fresh minced ginger
one pinch salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
70g/ roughly 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 parsnip (about 125g pre-peeled weight), peeled and grated
1 small apple, grated
75g/1/2 cup raisins
5 tbsp honey
100ml apple juice
125g/ roughly 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
125g/1/2 cup cream cheese
Heat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a muffin tin accordingly.
Mix the flours, baking powder, mixed spice and salt together in a bowl.
Whisk together the egg and butter in a separate bowl. Stir in the grated parsnips and apple, raisins and honey. Then, add these to the dry ingredients. Add the apple juice and stir to combine, but do not overmix.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins and bake for 30 minutes, or until risen (check after 20 minutes).
For the frosting: beat the butter in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
In another bowl, beat the cream cheese until creamy. Stir in the honey and vanilla extract. Add the creamed butter and stir to combine. Make cupcake art!
** Americans – I’m sorry I’ve switched to grams! Such a traitor I am. I just have to say it’s a worlds easier over here…